Wednesday, March 23, 2005

[itsdifferent] Sun Makes Big Claims for the Multi-Tasking Virtual Machine (MVM)



An article at java.sun.com, Sun's main Java site, touts the virtues
of a research project on the Multi-Tasking Virtual Machine, (MVM).
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Programming/mvm/

Sun claims that, "The MVM is a general-purpose virtual machine for
executing multiple applications written in the Java language, based
on the Java HotSpot Virtual Machine and its client compiler. Through
hosting multiple tasks, the MVM increases the scalability of the
Java platform."

The key move seems to involve "developing techniques that allow for
collocation of multiple applications in a single instance of the
virtual machine," so that "applications are isolated from one
another and each 'thinks' it has the whole virtual machine all to
itself."

And the article claims that startup time is substantially reduced:
"When compared to the HotSpot Virtual Machine, from which it
derives, MVM reduces start-up time from 60% to 90%."

They claim that it is easy to put the MVM in CLDC and J2ME, and soon
in large, multi-tiered J2EE configurations.

Then Sun makes the rather ominous admission that the MVM is like an
operating system, so a bug in one application will bring the whole
OS down. But we are not to worry because it will be robust.

Summing up the benefits Sun claims: "For example, desktop users will
be able to simultaneously run more Java applications due to lowered
memory consumption. At the same time, reduced start-up time will
significantly improve their experience. Administrators of large
computer installations will welcome improved scalability. Developers
of middleware infrastructure, such as application servers, as well
as enterprise applications, which typically execute on server-class
computers or clusters, will also find MVM's programming interfaces
attractive."

A research release of the MVM is soon to arrive. All this sounds
very impressive. I'm curious as to what degree of skepticism is
appropriate for the various claims. Any comments?


Regards
Imranahmed Petiwala


Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new resources site!

Note: This Group is not a Job Searching Group, so please co-operate and dont transfer any kind of job related material across this Group.AnyOne doing so can be banned from the Group
Thanx , Group Co-Ordinators



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT
click here


Yahoo! Groups Links

6 comments:

mag-num said...

Charming blog. Your site was off the chain and I
will return! When I get the time I look for blog like
this one.
Click on my quick cash advance
blog before its to late.

job opportunitya said...

Exciting blog. Your site was amazing and will be
back again! I never get tired of looking for blogs
just like this one.
Go and find my newport beach plastic surgery blog.

job opportunitya said...

Great blog. I'm always finding blog like yours. It
got my attention and I will go to the site again!
Once you sign on, check for my the las vegas center for plastic surgery blog.

job opportunitya said...

Excellent blog. Your site was great and will be
finding it again!  I surf the net for blogs like
yours.
I wish I was like you, but I'll go and peep your plastic surgery gone bad blog.

job opportunitya said...

Remarkable blog. I take the neccesary time to find
blogs that are just as good as the ones you do.
I'm looking at the possibility of checking your costa rica plastic surgery blog.

job opportunitya said...

Prodigious blog. Loved it so much I went to it
again! Just go online and search for blogs that are
worth the value as yours.
Please go over my costa rica plastic surgery blog.