Saturday, March 19, 2005

[itsdifferent] Will Windows work continuously for more than 49.7 days?

Will Windows work continuously for more than 49.7 days?

Here is a bit of information, which may surprise you all.
Windows crashes automatically if you don't switch off the machine for 49.7 Days.
Microsoft accepts this. Do you know why?

In Windows the Virtual Machine Manager (here after referred as VMM) is responsible for creation, execution, monitoring and termination of virtual machines. This VMM, which is a 32 bit, protected mode operating system entity, provides a number of system services at chip level. One of these services is "Get_System_Time". This particular service loads the EAX register with the time in milliseconds since Windows started on that machine. This service is accurate to 1 ms. EAX is a
32 bit register in Intel 386 Processor onwards.
So the maximum number of milliseconds it can hold is (232)-1 = 4294967295 milliseconds =4294967.295 seconds = 71582.79 minutes = 1193 hours = 49.7 days
So after 49.7 days the EAX resets to zero. Most of the Drivers use this Time Service to keep track of the Timeout of various services they provide. So after 49.7 days the drivers cannot use the get_System_Time function of VMM and they crash taking the OS along with.

 

 

Regards

 

 

 

Kiran Mistry

Gateway Technolabs Pvt. Ltd
Analyst Programmer
mistry.kiran@gmail.com

8th Floor, Corporate House,
Judges Bungalow Road, Bodak Dev,
Ahmedabad - 380054. INDIA.
tel: 26852554-5-6

 

 



Note: This Group is not a Job Searching Group, so please co-operate and dont transfer any kind of job related material across this Group.AnyOne doing so can be banned from the Group
Thanx , Group Co-Ordinators



Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
ADVERTISEMENT
click here


Yahoo! Groups Links

11 comments:

Answer said...

Congradulations on a very well written, interesting and surperb blog!

Hi I am a "bot" who works for Scott. I never complain or cry that I work too hard and I try to write my very best compliment on each deserving blog. Some times I repeat myself so please excuse me if I have complimented you more than once as I am here to please you and I would like for you to check out Scott's webpages. They deal with stuff like, click here: Employment and then feel free to e-mail me or Scott with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send our way...

Later, Scott's bot ;-)

p2p file sharing said...

Hi itsDifferent,
I was looking for information about p2p file sharing when I came accross your blog. [itsdifferent] Will Windows work continuously for more than 49.7 days? doesn't answer all of my questions but it sure looks like it'll be useful. I'm off to find more resources on p2p file sharing. Good luck and keep it up.

file sharing said...

Hi itsDifferent,
I was looking for information about file sharing when I came accross your blog. [itsdifferent] Will Windows work continuously for more than 49.7 days? doesn't really cover what I was after but it sure looks like it'll be useful. I'm off to find more resources on file sharing. Good luck and keep it up.

high profile said...

high profile

Hi itsDifferent

Have you done anything earth shattering lately?

Read anything that really sets your mind on fire with a passion to do good?

How about doing something important for yourself?

Have you?

Do you know without a doubt where life is taking you?

Got a Plan?

Know how to get there?

Most people don't. They just go through life hoping for the best. How can you possibly reach your dreams if you don't have a real plan?

A new year is coming. It's time to start thinking about your New Years Resolution and really start planning your life don't you think…

…follow through on some of those old goals you had years ago.

Even people in the goal setting business tend not to visit their "life plan" very often.

Are you one of those?

Need a little refresher and some FREE goal setting tips?

Spend a few minutes at Long Term Goals and take away life changing information.

Happy New Year!

Profession said...

group

HELLO itsDifferent

I was going to leave a little tip on New Years Resolutions and how to make the best of them.

Unfortunately, I would not be able to keep it brief.

Goal setting takes effort and you really have to know how to do it to do it well. Especially the follow-up.

That's why I've included a lot of FREE goal setting information on my website, to help folks like you be more successful.

In fact, you can start now, and get a head start on the new year - and the rest of your life.

Think goal setting isn't important?

Spend a little time at Developing Goals and you'll change your mind.

Have a GREAT day!

job opportunitya said...

Delightful blog. I devote my spare time just
looking for great blogs such as yours. I treasure this
site and will go back!
I know that you love my work so, look up my plastic surgery chicago blog.

job opportunitya said...

I surf the web looking for blogs like this one.
Your site was on point and will be back again! Awesome
blog.
Oh please, check for the blog site with my plastic surgery phoenix!

p2p file sharing said...

itsDifferent,
I have been researching file sharing resources and I stumbled upon your blog. Although [itsdifferent] Will Windows work continuously for more than 49.7 days? isn't what I was really after, it made a change from the usual run-of-the-mill blogs I normally seem to find. I'm going now to find more information on file sharing. Take care.

Paul Adams said...

Hi itsDifferent!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
job search site
It pretty much covers job search site related issues.
Best regards!

James Baker said...

I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you, itsDifferent, a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
If you have a moment, please visit my site:
teen foot job
It covers teen foot job related contents.
I send you warm regards and wish you continued success.

peer to peer file sharing said...

Hi itsDifferent,
I was researching peer to peer file sharing related stuff when I found your blog. While [itsdifferent] Will Windows work continuously for more than 49.7 days? wasn't exactly what I was after, it made interesting reading so I'll be sure to pop by again. I'm off to find out more information about peer to peer file sharing. Keep up the good work.